Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Zuma - the people's President

Cedric Mboyisa interviews ANC leader Jacob Zuma at his Johannesburg home last year. Picture: Petros Rapule

HIS well-known personal flaws aside, President Jacob Zuma is purely a people's person and a man with unfeigned humility.

I can clearly remember last year when I had to meet him for a one-on-one interview at his home in Johannesburg. I was a bit nervous and a bit scared because I was about to come face-to-face with a man who had dominated media headlines in negative news stakes.

After all the requisite security checks, I sat down with the man as we got ready to discuss his party, the ANC. Mind you, this was at the time when the “incorrigible” breakaway party leader Mosiuoa “Terror” Lekota was hurling all sorts of insults at the ANC and Zuma. It was also shortly after the “recall” of Lekota's master, former president Thabo Mbeki.

As soon as the interview got underway, my nervousness was gone as Zuma made me feel as though I had known him for years. The way he answered my questions was frank... there was no beating about the bush in his responses. As I pressed him on the Lekota issue, not a bad word about the former ANC chairman escaped his mouth!

We spoke for almost an hour, not once did Zuma adopt a condescending stance towards me. In fact, after the interview he even made time to listen to my snake-hunting adventures during my high school days. Such was the man's willingness to answer all my questions, that it was only after his aides reminded him he had to attend some meeting that we stopped the interview.

If you ever wondered why Zuma, despite his shortcomings, became the country's fourth democratically-elected President, look no further than his humbleness and people-mindedness. He's unashamedly a man of people. He also has a big heart to forgive those who plot against him and besmirch his name.

This, my friends, is why Zuma won the presidential race hands down!

11 comments:

  1. "If you ever wondered why Zuma, despite his shortcomings..."
    Surely Zuma has shortcomings, but out of everything, he never had shortcomings as a president of the country. He was never a bad or corrupt president, not even for a day. So why is he judged that he won't make a good president. I'm not a Zuma fan, but like you say, I think he is the people's President

    ReplyDelete
  2. South Africans would do well to give the man a chance. We are quick to judge and the herd mentality is amazing. I think he will prove a lot of people wrong. Bathathe Msholozi bathathe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pres Zuma has five years to show whether he can deliver on the ruling party's "commitments" to the people. And we shall be keeping a close eye on him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charisse writes: "Although I am only half-way through Jeremy Gordin's book on Jacob Zuma, I highly recommend it. It reminds us of Zuma's contribution to the apartheid struggle and his role in contributing peace in Africa. It also provides a context to the man."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charisse. I've read Gordin's book. It gives some important information about Zuma - from his childhood in Nkandla to his time on Robben Island. Indeed the book is important if one needs background info on the man who had to overcome numerous obstacles to become President.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so great meeting with the man, Yes he is humble man and people's president. He his own character. Viva Zuma Viva

    ReplyDelete
  7. And who is YOUR master? But from the way this reads that should not be too difficult a question to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have you know masked one that I've no master at all. I never suck up to anyone... I am not open to manipulation. I subscribe to the principles of journalism and fair comment. I write in the name of public interest, not in anybody's name. Anymore questions, masked one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who's you master, masked one? It appears that you've been tasked to come after me. Oh well, here I am.

    ReplyDelete