Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My hat off to these women


My 'Jewish mom' Sandy Sher with mini-me Naledi. Pictures: Cedric Mboyisa


PEOPLE have a tendency to appreciate people once they have passed on, but I believe it's only fair to appreciate and thank valuable people in your life while they are still alive.

So allow me express my sincere thanks to the following women: my high school English teacher Mrs Bongiwe Hlophe, my high school Zulu teacher Mrs Thandazile Koba, my 'Jewish mom' and journalism mentor Sandy Sher, and finally - but not least - community newspaper guru, my mentor and my “white mom” Heather Butler.

Had it not been for Mrs Koba, I would have not aced my IsiZulu exam in matric. Truth be told, I did not perform so well when it came to written Zulu, so I used to pass with satisfactory marks. I had already told myself that I would just aim for the usual percentage (above 50%) when I sat for my final Zulu exam. But that all changed, thanks to an inspirational talk given to us by Mrs Koba before the actual exam towards the end of 1999. She called about ten of us (Grade 12 learners) into a classroom. We had no idea what she wanted to say to us. We were pleasantly surprised when she told us she believed that we had a potential of getting more than 80% in the final Zulu exam, which was marked externally nogal! That's exactly what I did... I got 80% plus in the final exam. It's all thanks to Mrs Koba for having faith in me and for pushing me to achieve excellent academic results.

I owe so much of my English knowledge and understanding to Mrs Hlophe. It's common knowledge that learners from rural schools usually leave matric with a shocking grasp and command of English. Mrs Hlophe made it her business that by the time my five-year stay at Phathwa high school was over I was fiercely competitive in both the spoken and the written English. During my days at Phathwa I was only allowed to communicate in English with Mrs Hlophe and the rest of the teachers. Ladies and gentlemen, this in a nutshell, is how I developed my English skills. I've to admit I struggled at first, but as time went on I became more and more confident! My 89% for the final English exam in matric attest to the invaluable contributions by Mrs Hlophe and other Phathwa teachers.

What can I say about Sandy? I could have not wished for a better mentor when I joined Caxton community newspapers. It was my first time working with someone of Jewish descent. Apart from helping me with my journalistic skills, it's through Sandy that I learnt quite a lot about the Jewish culture. As my news editor, she allowed me freedom and space to take part in decision-making. We really enjoyed working together on the North Eastern Tribune, a community newspaper in Joburg. We sometimes had heated arguments about the NET as well as about the country's political landscape. But we never became foes or enemies for holding divergent views on certain issues. She is one of the greatest bosses I have ever had. She become more like a mother figure to me. My 'Jewish mom' was the only white face at my daughter's birthday last year. She even wrote a column about mini-me's birthday! Sandy is simply an amazing human being.

Then there is Heather. It was in May 2004 that Caxton cadet reporters headed for a two-week evaluation course in Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal. This is where I met Heather, who was one of the coordinators of the course. The way she explained what journalism was all about made me feel assured that I was in the right field. I remembered that Mrs Hlophe had told me that I should consider pursuing journalism as a profession. Heather's unfeigned passion for community media was conspicuous. At the end of the two-week evaluation course she told me that I had a great future ahead of me in either journalism or politics. She has followed my progress with keen interest. She's always available for advice. She is ever eager to help me when I need assistance with my current honours degree studies at Wits University.

I am eternally grateful to these four women for their much-appreciated and valued contributions.

16 comments:

  1. For most of us, we don't remember the people who helped shape us in life. It's good to see you acknwoledging the people who had influence and inspired you while you still have them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhayi makwabo, you've already forgotten those people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna use ur platform to acknowledge a few (not all women though)
    Mr Fischer (I think) - Intergrated Studies teacher at BPHS
    The following from Thulare High School, Soweto
    Mr Ntlhe (headmaster), Mr Matlala (Math), Mr Maduna (Science) for having faith in me, as you all know, I always disappoint - I proved u wrong. Ha ha
    Our guidance teacher (Mrs ? name forgotten), thanks for always bragging to ur students about your son.
    And to you Makwabo (Nyoni) for always pushing me to reach higher heights (which I haven't reached yet)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is classic, slwane! I couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, I can remember a few my English and accounting and college teachers. I can Thank also someone who made my life easy for me and because of her wouldn't be where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There could never be a successful society without teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do I say about Cedric? He arrived at the North Eastern Tribune with great energy and enthusiasm - and definitely not lacking in confidence. We did work very well together and I admired his values (that's why we never
    became foes). He also enjoyed my sandwiches which is the way to a "mother's" heart. His determination to succeed will never fail him, and I wish him lots of luck for the future.
    Go well, Cedric,
    Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot, Sandy. You're such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That true teachers must be given credit, some student have a great future because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teachers deserve more credit for their efforts in educating nations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Cedric,
    That was so nice to be remembered by you. I always said you were special and you remain special - always will. May your career continue
    to grow. You are a star.
    Luv
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could have not achieved this without your contribution, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is inspiring! Shaping a young mind for the future is not an easy job! It makes me to also salute both men and women who have contributed
    in making me a young confident woman I am today. They are many but to name the few,my high school class teacher Mrs Dioma, English teacher Mrs Dimbaza, Mr Tshikare who called me just few days before my final Grade 12 exam and looked straight in my eyes and said "leave no stone unturned, I believe in you" those words are still in my heart and mind. God bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say the women who have moulded you did not do such a bad job...otherwise you would have long forgotten them. Lovely that you have given them the due they deserve. Well done

    ReplyDelete