Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Radio idea for my village

The mountainous section of Gcilima. Picture: Cedric Mboyisa


BLOGGERS at large please note that I shall be offline until Monday. I am off to Gcilima, my rural village in KwaZulu-Natal, to conduct an audience research or survey for my Wits University's community radio project.

During my three-day stay there I shall interact with various members of the community to establish whether an idea of a local radio station resonates with them. I'll also ask them for their input on what issues their proposed radio station should discuss and tackle.

Gcilima Voice (the proposed name of the radio station) intends to give this community an unprecedented platform to engage in frank conversation about the HIV/Aids endemic which is ravaging this community. The station will also seek to inculcate the culture of political tolerance in an area that once battled the demon of political violence. The youth will form a critical part of the radio station. In a nutshell, Gcilima Voice will be entirely for the community by the community. No hidden agendas, ek se!

4 comments:

  1. I think that is a brilliant idea! GO FOR IT! I believe the station will provide a good platform for the community to talk about issues that affect their lives. HIV/AIDS is one of the issues that people still need to talk and be educated about. It is heartbreaking to learn that more and more children are becoming orphans, daily. And the most contributing
    cause for this situation is HIV/AIDS. Radio will be a good source of information for the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The response I received during my audience research was phenomenal! Everyone in Gcilima is for the proposed radio station. They say it'll provide a perfect platform for this rural community beset by the scourge of HIV/Aids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Mboyisa

    Now that u are back from the RURAL (the way you like referring to 'your' Gcilima), what issues do you think the station should tackle, according to your visit? I'm sure you must have seen or experienced issues that need attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most prominent issue which needs urgent attention is development. Almost nothing (development wise) has changed or happened in Gcilima for the past 15 years! To compound matters, HIV/Aids is wreaking havoc there.

    ReplyDelete