Monday, August 10, 2009

To my mom with love

Left to right: My younger sister S'phume, my older brother Khanya, me and mini-me Naledi, my mom Thandi and my niece Nomvelo, and my youngest sister Busi. Picture: Cynthia Thoane


THIS is women's month, and I would like to pay tribute to the woman who has been absolutely instrumental in enabling me to have a bright future.

Ngaphandle kukamama wami, uThandekile Mboyisa, I doubt I would be where I am today. Although a domestic worker earning a meagre salary, “Thandi” (as she is fondly known) made sure that there was some money for me to go to school. She did not mind buying expensive study guide material during my high schools days in a rural village of Gcilima, KwaZulu-Natal. She encouraged me to focus on my studies, stressing that education was the only key to success.

It's because of my mother that I've been able to break free from shackles of poverty. To this day, she remains an inspiration to me. She is an indispensable part of my life. I will remain eternally grateful to her for the sacrifices she made to create a better life for me. There is no one like my mom in my life. She taught me that growing up in a rural village does not necessarily mean that one is doomed and will never amount to anything in life.

Mama ngiyabonga ngakho konke ongenzele khona ngokungikhulisa ungiphe lelikusasa engingeke ngiliphucwe muntu. Ngiyakuthanda kakhulu.

13 comments:

  1. Very interesting,emotional and it great. How i wish that all mother were like your mum, fighting for their children future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my mom is such a caring and a loving woman. I thank God for having accorded me such umama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it sweet when boys love their mommies? Especially boys with sharp tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving, Cedric. I am a big believer in the power of one. Just one person can have such a positive influence in your life. It is nice to have an opportunity to reflect on the one's you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cedric. My mom means the world to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I meant to write: "Thanks, Charisse. My mom means the world to me".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Botshelo Selogilwe commented via e-mail: "This is an emotional feature indeed. Your mom must be proud of you! It is always a good thing, to see a young successful person looking back an appreciating what built his or her success. Way to go brother."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom must also be so proud of you, Botshelo. I know you two are very close. Have a fab day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was just too sweet. I think I lot of us take our mommy's for granted, it was nice of you to pay a tribute to her - hope you told her as well how special she is to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. As Ronan Keating sings, tell those you love while they are still alive, I've told my mom how much I appreciate her in my life.

    ReplyDelete